Sunday 19 May 2013

Harzer Cattle - Wildermann



Today we went to the annual traditional cattle match in Wildemann. It is an event that has been held on Pentecost Sunday for the last 30 years. 


 The morning wake-up call rings out across the valley at 7.00 o'clock, as the Harz shepherds bring the cattle down from the mountains. The cattle are marched through the town were the finest cattle are festively decorated. The festival begins after prayers are held.





This was the second time I have visited Wildemann in the last few weeks, (the first time was collecting a hiking stamp for the Harzer Wandernadel), and I have to say this little town has grown on me. It has a feel of a traditional mountain town with some excellent walks. I took off on a few paths to take some pictures of the landscape.

 
For coffee and cake I highly recommend the "Antik Cafe Marie Luise," which you will find on the main street.  This is one festival that I can honestly say I will attend again.  










No comments:

Post a Comment