Tuesday 13 August 2013

Hannah’s first day at school



The last few weeks have been busy with the school holidays and more important preparing for my daughters first day at school. We moved to Germany a few years ago and my older children did not have the opportunity to experience this traditional start to a young person’s education.  

Dating back more than 200 years, the tradition of the Shultuten or “school cone” is one of the most celebrated and long-standing traditions in Germany.  The custom dates back to 1810 when parents in the Eastern part of Germany gave their children little sweets and gifts at the beginning of their school year. 

The tradition grew, as did the size of the Schultüte, and today parents, grandparents will go to great lengths to make the ‘First Day’ of school as memorable as possible. A very different way to how I remember my first day in school in the UK; (clinging onto the school gates as my mother desperately tried to drag me into school). 

A German child's very first day of school, known as Einschulung in German, is a landmark in their lives, and honoured throughout Germany as a special occasion.   

After a formal introduction to their teacher and future classroom they are returned to their parents were they are presented with their cones.

I think the pictures say it all :)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment